With more than 20% of your daily dose of calcium, this Mediterranean salad has plenty of this important mineral.
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 15 minutes Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
• 2 bacon slices (or turkey bacon) —vegetarians can eliminate or use a meat sub
• 1 head escarole
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons minced shallots
• 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
• 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
• 1/4 cup dried figs, chopped
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 4 oz)
1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and crumble. Set aside, and reserve 1 teaspoon drippings in pan.
2. Place escarole top-down in pan, and press down gently. Cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until wilted. Flip, and cook 1 minute. Remove to cutting board; coarsely chop escarole, discarding core, and transfer to a large bowl.
3. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat; add minced shallots, and cook 3 minutes or until golden brown. Add balsamic vinegar, orange juice, dried figs, and sugar to pan; stir to dissolve sugar and thicken. Pour dressing and figs over escarole, tossing gently to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Can be served solo or over grilled chicken or fish.
Nutritional Information: Calories per serving: 208, Fat per serving: 9g, Saturated fat per serving:4g, Monounsaturated fat per serving: 4g,Polyunsaturated fat per serving:1g, Protein per serving:8g, Carbohydrates per serving:26g, Fiber per serving:8g, Cholesterol per serving:14mg, Iron per serving:2mg, Sodium per serving:326mg, Calcium per serving:218mg