A non-traditional stuffing whose Hearty goodness comes from whole grain Farro not bread. Prep up to two days ahead. If you prep ahead take out of fridge let stand at room temp for 45 minutes and bake at 350° for 25 minutes till heated through.
Yield: Serves 12 (serving size: 3/4 cup)
Total time: 40 Minutes
• 4 cups unsalted chicken stock (chicken or vegetable stock)
• 2 cups uncooked farro
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash
• 1 cup chopped red onion
• 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
• ¾ cup thinly sliced celery
• ¾ cup almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
• ¾ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
• 1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
• ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring stock and farro to a boil in a large saucepan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until farro is al dente. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving cooking liquid.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add squash, onion, carrot, and celery; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in ¼ cup reserved cooking liquid. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir squash mixture into farro mixture. Stir in almonds, parsley, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Spoon into an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve. Stir in additional reserved cooking liquid as needed just before serving.