You have probably heard that the proper diet, exercise, cholesterol control are all critical to keeping your Heart Healthy, but did you know your mind and emotions can be just as important when it comes your heart health?
Research has shown that it’s likely that there is a connection between stress, excess anger and depression and heart disease. It makes sense right? The mind, body is all connected and one affects the other. You can manage stress in both healthy and unhealthy ways. Unfortunately, many of us deal with stress by smoking, drinking too much, and overeating which can further contribute to heart disease. Try some of these healthy stress relievers for better heart health.
• Breathe deeply. You don’t need to be an expert Yogi or meditator to work with the breath. Meditative, deep breathing can be done anytime anywhere. It calms the mind, and relieves stress both physically and mentally so next time you feel the tension rise, close your eyes and take deep belly breaths for a few minutes –ahh! Make this a regular practice to help mange stress before it starts.
• Take a break. When your stress rises, take a few minutes to escape your surroundings. Spend a few quiet moments alone, take a walk, read a short story, or listen to your favorite music.
• Get together with friends. Facebook is fun, but it’s no substitute for being with people you love. Create weekly rituals with your friends. Try volunteering or joining a local group of people with similar interests to yours. Research suggests that people with frequent social connections enjoy better protection against high blood pressure.
• Stay positive. Studies have shown that optimistic people had a lower risk of heart disease. Feel that negativity coming on strong? Try to find some good in the situation and think about all you have to be grateful for.
• Project Love. When the going gets tough try changing your negative reaction by mentally projecting loving thoughts to the person that has your ire up! Do some small acts of random kindness expecting nothing in return, you might be surprised at what comes back to you and how much better you feel!
• Do What You Love. Don’t settle, visualize and envision the life you want, you have the power to manifest your dreams, so don’t be afraid to go for it!