In a world where we are bombarded with carbo – sugar loaded products, many people don’t know or are misinformed about the importance of protein in a balanced diet. We are not talking no-carb, lo-carb protein overload here, but getting enough is critical to maintaining good health.
Did you know?
- Protein is a component of every cell in your body. In fact, hair and nails are mostly made of protein.
- Your body uses it to build and repair tissue.
- You need it to make enzymes, hormones, and other body chemicals.
- It is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.
Benefits of a Protein-Enriched Diet:
- Speeding recovery after exercise
- Reducing muscle loss
- Building lean muscle
- Helping you maintain a healthy weight
- Curbing hunger
But wait I’m a vegetarian, how can I get enough protein?
Not to worry there are plenty of whole food sources of quality protein for non meat eaters, including all types of beans (garbanzo, black beans, and lentils to name a few), nuts and seeds – but what about fats you say? Not to worry you need healthy fats in your diet too. And of course there are many high quality protein powders are on the market, these are especially great for a quick protein infusion for those of us on the run!