06 Feb Southwestern Steak Salad
This steak salad recipe is packed with fresh summer corn, ripe tomatoes and silky avocado. Serve with crumbled tortilla chips for an extra crunch. Not a meat eater, try a meat substitute instead.
Makes: 4 servings
Serving Size: about 2 cups
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
• 1 pound steak
• 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
• ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
• ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons white vinegar
• 1-2 tablespoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (see Tip)
• 6 cups sliced romaine lettuce
• 1 ½ cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
• 1 firm ripe avocado, diced
• 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
• ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
Position oven rack about 3 inches from heat source; preheat broiler to high. Coat a broiler-safe pan with cooking spray.
Sprinkle steak with cumin, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper. Place on the prepared pan and broil, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 125°-130°F for medium-rare, 3 to 6 minutes per side. Let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain, then chop into bite-size pieces.
Meanwhile, whisk sour cream, oil, vinegar, chipotles to taste and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Transfer 4 tablespoons of the dressing to a small bowl. Add romaine, corn and avocado to the large bowl; toss to coat. Divide the salad and tomato wedges among 4 plates. Top each with cheese, the chopped steak and 1 tablespoon of the reserved dressing.